Permission Request Form
Reprint & Permission
Written permission from SHAPE America is required whenever trademarked logos are requested or when copyrighted material is reprinted or adapted. Permission to reprint or use logo marks is not official until SHAPE America receives the signed formal agreement and payment when applicable. Permission requests are subject to a processing and usage fee.
Please note that the SHAPE America logo may not be used as part of your school fundraising event or in conjunction with outside sponsors. For licensing approval or information on sponsorship opportunities, please contact SHAPE America's Vice President, Strategic Partnerships, Social Impact and Education at [email protected].
Reprint & Permission Process
- Complete the permission form, at the bottom of the page, so your request can be considered.
- Allow 1-2 weeks to process all requests.
- A formal agreement will be emailed to the requestor outlining the conditions of request or denial.
- Sign and return the agreement and payment when applicable.
Requests should include the requestor's name, address, organization, email, telephone number, and web address (if applicable). Requests must identify the exact material that is being requested to be copied, or used and/or the title of the publication, video or the website URL address from which the material is taken. Page numbers and copyright dates must be included. The request must state exactly how the material will be used and distributed, and if the materials will be sold (including: how many pages will be used, when and where it will be used, if being sold – cost, where, to whom, etc).
Permission will not be granted:
- To copy an entire or large portion of a publication, pamphlet, slide set or video.
- To use any material that has been discontinued or that is under revision.
- To translate for a commercial or for-profit activity.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. What is copyright? Are all SHAPE America publications and products protected by copyright?
Copyright is a form of protection granted by law for original works of authorship, such as books, articles, artwork, web content, and other materials, whether published or unpublished. All SHAPE America products, publications, videos, and web pages are protected by copyright.
2. Do I need to request permission each time I want to us SHAPE America content?
Yes. Written permission only covers specific individual requests. You must request different permission requests for the use of various pieces of SHAPE America content.
3. Do I need permission to use a small portion or paraphrase any SHAPE America content?
Most often you do not need permission, provided proper attribution and citation is given. For clarification in specific instances, please email [email protected].
4. If I am an author or coauthor of a SHAPE America publication, do I need permission to reuse excerpts from my work?
Yes. Requests must be submitted, however authors will not be charged a fee to use parts of their own work.
5. May I make and distribute limited copies of an article from a SHAPE America journal for educational and noncommercial purposes?
Yes. SHAPE America allows readers to photocopy and distribute, or make electronic copies available on a secure server, without express written permission provided proper citation is given to the source and the content is provided free of charge.
6. Are SHAPE America books or materials that are no longer in-print still copyright protected?
Yes. Whether a book is in print or not has no bearing on its protection status. All SHAPE America publications are protected by copyright even if currently out of print. If a product is out of print, you must still obtain permission to use excerpts and reproduce copies.
7. May I link to SHAPE America web pages without obtaining permission?
Yes. SHAPE America encourages you to provide appropriate link, however you may not use our logo or any other trademarked item on your site without written permission.
SHAPE America Permissions